This course / event has concluded. Please use our search form to find similar courses.
BASIC KNEE ARTHROPLASTY COURSE
This is a one day sawbone and live surgery demonstration course that will cover the principles of orthopaedic surgical skills in knee arthroplasty. In order to maximize hands-on practice the didactic material may be available online for pre-course study. There will be an opportunity to discuss cases and learn about pre-operative planning during the course. The course will cover the surgical techniques for the knee joint, surgical approaches ,ligament balancing and the techniques of knee arthroplasty.
COURSE ORGANISER: Mr Amit Chandratreya
1) Discuss the non-operative management of Knee Osteoarthritis
2) Evaluate the importance of patient selection prior to Total Knee Arthroplasty
3) Describe the biomechanics underpinning a Total Knee Arthroplasty
4) Identify the importance of pre-operative planning in both valgus and varus knees
5) Explain the importance of appropriate implant selection
6) Describe common surgical approaches to the knee joint
7) Understand the importance of soft tissue ligament balancing
8) Recognise common balancing problems and intra-operative solutions
9) Identify principles of good cementing technique and handling of instrumentation
10) Perform a Total Knee Arthroplasty safely using sawbones in a simulated setting